Vahid Halilhodzic speaks at Haneda Airport in Tokyo’s Ota Ward on April 21 upon his return to Japan for the first time since he was dismissed as the head coach of Japan’s men’s national soccer team on April 7. (Masaki Kono)

An angry and shocked Vahid Halilhodzic, the former head coach of the Japanese men's national soccer team, said he has been treated disrespectfully and feels as if he was "dumped in the trash bin."

The former coach arrived back in Japan on April 21, the first time since he was suddenly fired earlier this month.

He vowed to continue fighting and also find out the reason for his sudden termination, which came only two months before the start of the World Cup in Russia.

“I need to fight with those who hurt my dignity, if I am to be treated like this,” said Halilhodzic upon his arrival at Haneda Airport, through an accompanying interpreter.

He guided the Samurai Blue last August to its sixth straight World Cup, which will begin in June. However, he was dismissed on April 7 as his team played poorly in recently friendlies. He was replaced by Akira Nishino, a former J.League coach, who chairs the Japan Football Association technical committee.

At Haneda Airport, Halilhodzic agreed to be interviewed by a group of reporters.

“It is always my pleasure to come to Japan, but this is an extraordinary situation,” he said at the impromptu news conference. “I have been involved with soccer for 45 years, and it really the most difficult one in my soccer life.”

He said he still does not know what had happened, and he came back to Japan to “find out the truth.”

Halilhodzic described his firing as being “put in an exhausting situation.”

“Japan is a wonderful country, and Japanese society has a culture of respecting each other,” he added, repeating, “I am not finished,” before ending the session.

A formal news conference for Halilhodzic is scheduled at a venue in Tokyo on April 27.