Guests evacuate from the dining hall of Hotel New Akao in Atami, Shizuoka Prefecture, at night on July 28 after a window was broken. (Provided by a guest)

A strong typhoon that made landfall on Mie Prefecture before dawn on July 29 is moving slowly through western Japan and bringing record amounts of rain in some areas and swelling rivers along its path.

Typhoon No. 12 is expected to continue traveling through western Japan until July 30, resulting in continued rain and strong winds for many hours, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

The JMA is calling on residents in affected areas to take precautions against heavy rain, strong winds, landslides and flooding and evacuate as early as possible.

Many of the areas are still digging out from deadly torrential rains earlier in the month that brought flooding and landslides. There are fears that the typhoon could bring about a new disaster in western Japan.

Typhoon No. 12 made landfall near Ise, Mie Prefecture, at around 1 a.m. The amount of precipitation per hour before dawn was 93.5 millimeters in Soni, Nara Prefecture, and 91.0 mm in Minami-Ise, Mie Prefecture. Both totals were the largest ever recorded in those municipalities.

Heavy rains are expected to fall in wide areas of western Japan through July 30.

In Japan, typhoons usually travel from west to east. However, Typhoon No. 12 is moving in the opposition direction, with the possibility of warm and wet air entering the areas where the typhoon has passed. As a result, heavy rain could continue falling, and the JMA is calling on residents to remain extra vigilant.

The amount of precipitation for 24 hours until noon on July 30 is expected to total up to 200 mm in the Shikoku and Kyushu regions, 150 mm in the Tokai region and 100 mm in the Chugoku region.

As of 10 a.m. on July 29, the typhoon was moving near Fukuyama, Hiroshima Prefecture, to the west at a speed of 35 kph. The atmospheric pressure at its center was 990 hectopascals. The maximum wind speed was 82.8 kph. The momentary maximum wind speed was 126 kph.

In Atami, Shizuoka Prefecture, a window in a dining hall of a resort hotel was broken at night on July 28 during the typhoon, injuring five people. However, none of those injuries were serious, the city’s firefighting headquarters said.

At around 7:45 p.m., the headquarters received a call from a female employee of Hotel New Akao.

“A window was broken and some people were injured,” she said.

According to the headquarters, the glass of a window measuring six meters in height and 20 meters in width was broken in the dining hall on the second floor of the hotel at around 7:30 p.m.

Four guests and one male employee were injured and transported to a hospital. The four included a 7-year-old boy.

Fire officials suspect that high waves caused by the typhoon slammed into the window.