Passers-by watch on as railway workers works to remove a fallen tree on JR Chuo Line’s express train track in Yotsuya Station in Shinjuku Ward on Oct. 1. (Kenji Notsu)

At least two people were killed and more than 100 injured as Typhoon No. 24 ripped through the Japanese archipelago on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

In Kotoura, Tottori Prefecture, a light truck fell from a collapsed road that was damaged by torrential rain from the typhoon on the night of Sept. 30. A man in the truck died and another man was rescued alive, according to Tottori prefectural police.

In Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi Prefecture, a man was pulled from a swollen waterway before dawn on Oct. 1. He was later confirmed dead at a hospital.

According to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, two people are missing in Miyazaki and Shiga prefectures and at least 104 people have reported injuries in 16 prefectures across Japan.

The typhoon reached the Pacific Ocean, passing the Sanriku coast in the morning, while maintaining its massive size and strong intensity.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, as of noon on Oct. 1, the typhoon has been downgraded to an extratropical storm and is east of Japan.

However, another low-pressure system is likely to bring strong gusts and torrential rain in the Tohoku region from late in the evening of Oct. 1.

A high-pressure system over the Kanto region resulted in unusually high and, possibly, record temperatures on Oct. 1. A high of 34 degrees was forecast in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture, and 32 degrees in central Tokyo.

Along with the high temperatures, the typhoon also snarled the transport network in the Tokyo metropolitan area.

Service between Motohasunuma and Nishi-Takashimadaira stations of the Toei Mita Line was suspended due to fallen trees on the tracks between Nishidai and Takashimadaira stations, which fell at about 5:42 a.m. The service was resumed at 3:30 p.m.

East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) halted services on all lines in and around Tokyo after 8 p.m. on Sept. 30, but resumed operations in the morning on the Yamanote Line, Keihin-Tohoku Line and Saikyo Line, as well as of non-express services on the Chuo and Sobu lines.

JR Chuo Line’s express train service was halted from the first train until after 11:50 a.m. after a fallen tree was found on the tracks at JR Yotsuya Station.

Full operations on Keio Corp.’s railway network resumed at about 8:55 a.m. after one of the first trains in the morning hit a collapsed wall on the track and stopped, affecting other lines of its network.

According to Keio officials, the first Keio Line train bound for Shinjuku Station hit the debris between Meidaimae and Daitabashi stations in Tokyo’s Setagaya Ward at about 4:45 a.m. It is believed the wall was damaged by the storm.

About 70 passengers who were aboard evacuated the stranded train and walked along the tracks.

The Tokaido Shinkansen Line, which connects Tokyo and Shin-Osaka, resumed full operation from 7:29 a.m., after several earlier trains were canceled.

The Tohoku, Yamagata, Akita, Joetsu and Hokuriku Shinkansen lines were in service as usual from the first train of the day.

The typhoon severely impacted air travel as well, and as of 8:45 a.m., All Nippon Airways (ANA) canceled 121 domestic flights, mostly those departing and landing at Haneda Airport, affecting 17,500 passengers.

As of 6 a.m., Japan Airlines (JAL) canceled 90 domestic flights, affecting 10,662 passengers.

According to Tokyo Electric Power Co., power was cut to about 440,000 households in its service area due to the storm.