A Canadian couple is reaching out from home to thank passers-by at bustling JR Shinjuku Station in Tokyo in mid-October for overcoming the language barrier and helping them during a medical emergency.

“I’m really anxious to let the citizens of Tokyo, especially those who assisted my wife and I, know how much we appreciate their kindness,” Peter Thorpe and his wife, Elizabeth, of Calgary, wrote in an e-mail to an Asahi Shimbun reporter nearly a month later.

The couple were walking through the station on Oct. 18 at around 3 p.m. near the end of a three-week visit to Japan.

Elizabeth, 70, felt something was wrong with her husband, who is 68. Her intuition was correct.

She told Peter, who was feeling groggy, to wait there, seeking to find a passer-by who could tell them about a shorter route to their hotel.

Peter remembers seeing his wife talking with someone and then he blacked out. He suffered an epileptic seizure, a chronic neurological condition that he had controlled by taking medicine for four decades.

Returning to Peter, Elizabeth saw a crowd surrounding her husband, who was lying unconscious on the floor, seized with cramps and bleeding profusely about the face.

“He is my husband and having an epileptic seizure,” she said in English.

But people around them could not understand what she was saying. Elizabeth picked up her smartphone to use the translation app, and a young couple said to her, “We can speak English and can interpret for you. We can do it around you if needed.”

They told Elizabeth that an ambulance was coming and offered to ride along with Peter to the hospital.

A female passer-by who was apparently a medical doctor also stopped to assist them. Putting on surgical gloves, she took Peter’s pulse and reported his condition, in a calm manner, to a station worker who was standing by them.

After the ambulance arrived, Peter and Elizabeth got on it, heading to a hospital.

The upper part of Peter's body struck the ground sharply when he fell, fracturing his nose and upper jaw.

He was treated in an emergency room for four hours, during which time a female hospital employee gave updates on his condition to Elizabeth in English.

After Peter regained consciousness, they returned to their hotel in the Ginza district as darkness fell.

The following day, the couple returned to the hospital to check on his condition, and they returned to Canada two days later concluding their trip, which included an eight-day “ohenro-san” pilgrimage hike in Shikoku as well as tours of the ancient capitals of Nara and Kyoto, marking Elizabeth’s birthday.

In the e-mail, Peter said, “I would like to thank all the hospital staff, and the dentist they brought in to attend to my teeth.

“Last, but certainly not least, I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all the other people that tried to assist my wife at Shinjuku Station, and who expressed genuine concern for my predicament.”