SUITA, Osaka Prefecture--The suspect in the stabbing of a police officer and theft of his handgun was referred to prosecutors June 18 following his arrest on suspicion of attempted murder and robbery.

When he was apprehended in a mountain area on June 17, Yujiro Iimori, 33, had about 100,000 yen ($920) in cash, a driver's license and a mental disability certificate among his belongings.

Investigators will try to determine whether Iimori can take criminal responsibility for his actions.

He has denied the allegations against him, telling investigators, "What I think is that it is because my illness has gotten worse and people around me have gotten worse."

Police said Iimori apparently fired the police officer's weapon in a residential area here about 30 minutes after the attack.

They also said he used a Facebook friend's name to make a phone call to a "koban" police box to lure officers from the scene.

An investigation task force set up at the Suita Police Station in Suita, Osaka Prefecture, determined that Iimori attacked Suzunosuke Kose, 26, while the officer was on duty at 5:35 a.m. on June 16 in a parking lot outside the Senriyama “koban” police box in the city’s Senriyama district.

Kose was found collapsed with a knife 15 centimeters long embedded in the left side of his chest. He had a total of seven knife wounds and remains unconscious.

Police said Iimori made off with the officer's loaded service revolver, which originally had five bullets but only four when it was recovered.

Investigative sources said security camera footage in a residential area of the Senriyama district, about 400 meters northwest of the police box, showed Iimori holding the handgun in his right hand while he was walking.

Multiple residents told police they heard what appeared to be a gunshot about 30 minutes after the officer was attacked, leading police to believe that Iimori loosed off a shot in the neighborhood.

Police tracked Iimori to a mountainous area in Minoo, Osaka Prefecture, after analyzing surveillance camera footage.

It showed the suspect gradually heading northward from the crime scene. He visited several stores to buy clothes, insect repellant, a mobile phone charger and batteries.

Camera footage also caught him stopping by a convenience store in Minoo about four hours after the attack and tossing what turned out to be a pair of shoes into a trash bin outside the store.

According to investigative sources, Iimori wore the shoes when he attacked Kose and apparently wanted to get rid of them to destroy evidence. Police seized the footwear.

Iimori purchased a pair of sneakers at a retail outlet shortly before he stopped at the convenience store, according to the sources.

After his shopping spree, Iimori went back and forth between a hiking trail that leads to Katsuoji temple and residential districts.

But after 8 p.m. on June 16, he went into the mountain area and nothing more was seen of him until the following morning.

Police waited until sunrise to dispatch 36 investigators to the mountain. They spotted Iimori lying on a wooden bench on a mountain trail in Minoo and arrested him at 6:34 a.m. on June 17.

The hunt for Iimori lasted for about 25 hours.

They recovered the stolen handgun in a plastic bag underneath the bench. It had only four bullets left, and bore traces of having recently been fired.

Investigators said they also believe that Iimori used a Facebook friend’s name when he lured offices on duty at the police box with a bogus phone call about a house break-in.

A woman in her 30s who lives in Osaka Prefecture said she received a post from Iimori on her Facebook page on June 11, just five days before the attack.

It read: “I know it is too early, but can you tell me your home address because I want to mail you a New Year’s card?”

Iimori, who lived with his mother in Tokyo's Shinagawa Ward, moved to Suita when he attended elementary school and lived there throughout his time at junior high and high school, according to police and other sources.

The woman was Iimori’s classmate at elementary as well as junior high school. She remembered Iimori as an active boy who played baseball and did well academically.

She was delighted he made contact after such a long time, but said it was so out of the blue that she “hesitated to reply.”

A 32-year-old man who was Iimori’s classmate in junior high school also received a post from Iimori the same day asking for his home address.

The man hadn’t seen Iimori since they graduated from junior high school.

“I thought it rather strange,” said the man, who decided to ignore the overture.

Immediately before the attack, police at the koban received a call from a man reporting a break-in at a house. The call was made from a pay phone located about 800 meters south of the police box.

Two other police officers who were on the same shift as Kose rushed to the scene on motorcycles. Kose was attacked when he came out of the police box to join them.

Police believe Iimori identified himself as one of his Facebook friends to lure the officers away and attacked Kose when the police box was lightly guarded.

Iimori’s former classmate was surprised to learn of the ruse, commenting, “Had I told him my home address, I might have become entangled in the crime.”