Gondolas of a Ferris wheel, which was retired in May, shake and roll at the top of a building in Takamatsu, and automatic ticket gates are all covered at JR Takamatsu Station on Aug. 15. (Itsuki Soeda)

Typhoon No. 10 left chaos and damage in its wake in western Japan as it moved over the Sea of Japan on the morning of Aug. 16, causing at least two deaths and more than 50 injuries.

The typhoon was traveling northward at a speed of 35 kph after passing through the Chugoku region and is forecast to become a tropical depression and approach Hokkaido before dawn on Aug. 17.

The Japan Meteorological Agency is warning that torrential rain is likely as well as extremely strong winds in northern Japan.

The storm traversed western Japan during the latter part of the Bon holiday period, when masses of travelers return home after spending time in their hometowns.

Hundreds of Shinkansen services were suspended, disrupting the travel plans of hundreds of thousands of passengers.

Typhoon No. 10 is moving slowly, unleashing torrents of rain in locations for long periods.

Umaji, Kochi Prefecture, experienced 872.5 millimeters of rainfall from Aug. 12 to 9 a.m. on Aug. 16, while Kamikitayama, Nara Prefecture, recorded 834.5 mm. Seven areas in the Kinki and Shikoku regions were deluged with more than 500 mm of rainfall.

During the storm, an 82-year-old man died after falling into the sea in Hiroshima Prefecture on Aug. 15. He was apparently trying to moor a boat, according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

Fifty-two people were reported injured, including those who were toppled by strong winds in 14 prefectures including Aichi, Okayama, Tokushima and Miyazaki prefectures. Some suffered serious injuries.

A 71-year-old man drowned on the evening of Aug. 15 after fishing for sweetfish in a river in Kamigori, Hyogo Prefecture. His body was found the following morning.

The storm forced the cancellation of 311 bullet trains of the Sanyo Shinkansen Line, which runs between Shin-Osaka Station and Hakata Station in Osaka and Fukuoka, respectively, operated by West Japan Railway Co., in both western and eastern directions.

The suspension of operations affected about 200,000 passengers.

Shinkansens were running on schedule from the first train on Aug. 16, but almost all reserved seats of inbound bullet trains through Aug. 18 had been booked.

Meanwhile, in the Tokai region, a total of 15 domestic and international flights of airline companies, including All Nippon Airways Co., have been canceled at Chubu Centrair International Airport.

Portions of the Tokai-Hokuriku Expressway were closed to traffic in both directions due to heavy rain between the Gujo-Hachiman Interchange and Shirotori Interchange, both in Gujo, Gifu Prefecture; and between the Shokawa Interchange and Hida-Kiyomi Interchange, both in Takayama, in the same prefecture, according to Central Nippon Expressway Co.