ICHIHARA, Chiba Prefecture--In his final hours, Yoshimitsu Ohama begged his wife for a glass of icy water to quench his thirst in the sweltering heat, but there was none to be had.

Already a sick man with a history of heart problems, for which he was being treated, Ohama is one of at least two Chiba Prefecture residents who apparently died of heatstroke following a massive power blackout triggered by the passage of powerful Typhoon No. 15 on Sept. 9.

It wasn't just power that was cut off. Water supplies were also severed in the city, where the couple lived.

Beverages at convenience stores were sold out, and they had run out of water given to them by acquaintances.

Unable to use air conditioning, Ohama suffered terribly in the 30-degree-plus heat.

Ohama’s wife Uno, 49, said their house lost all power before dawn on Sept. 9.

Initially, Ohama tried resting in the office of a hotel that the couple operated.

But by the morning of Sept. 9, he said he did not “feel like eating at all,” and was sweating profusely.

He stayed at the hotel office next to his residence until around noon but then went home, complaining, “I cannot stay in the office, it's far too hot.”

Shortly after midday, he went to lie down in the second floor bedroom of his house after opening a window in the hope of a breeze while he tried to keep cool by fanning his face.

“The room was almost like a sauna,” Uno said.

On the morning on Sept. 10, Ohama experienced hot flushes and said he craved a glass of icy water.

Uno suggested he go somewhere with air conditioning, but all hotel rooms in the neighborhood were occupied.

Around 2 p.m., Uno went to the hotel to start preparing dinner for guests.

Shortly after 5 p.m., she returned home to find her husband collapsed on the floor in front of the toilet.

“Get up, get up,” she shouted.

Uno called emergency services for an ambulance, but her husband had suffered cardio-respiratory arrest.

The doctor put the time of death at between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. and said it was due to heatstroke, Uno explained.

“It was the first time for us to confront living with no power and water," Uno said with tear-filled eyes as she blamed herself for not finding a facility equipped with air conditioning.

The temperature inside the bedroom as of midnight on Sept. 10 was 32 degrees, according to Uno.