The text area starts here.

  • Before reading this site

Messages from Hiroshima

Japanese version

Shizue Hotta (female)
'Nyushi hibaku'  / 25 years old at the time / current resident of Saitama

The scenes of the A-bombed city are introduced here. The photographs are not directly connected with the messages. I was exposed when I entered the city after the A-bomb, so I had no external injuries on my body. I worked at the first-aid station until August 31.
Many people died.
After purple spots appeared on parts of my arms and thighs from around the time of August 23, I became very worried that I was going to die too, since there were people at the first-aid station who developed spots and died one after another. After my rash was successfully treated, I was relieved. But later, I worried again when my blood became very thin from too little hemoglobin.

I have three children. They are all in good health, but when my great-granddaughter was five, she got leukemia and is still being treated. She was in the hospital for a year and eight months. She has been released and is now in first grade. I feel very sorry for what has happened to my great-granddaughter, and it pains me greatly. For now, she goes to school every day and continues to attend her lessons.

I worry that my blood platelets won't ever return to normal. There are probably other people who are worried about the same thing. (Even now, I see a doctor once a month.

Sixty years have now passed since, and the use of nuclear weapons should end with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Starting with the U.S., all the countries should get rid of their nuclear weapons. I long for the total elimination of nuclear weapons from the world.

I was working as a public health nurse at the Furuichi-cho city office in Furuichi-cho, Asa-gun District, Hiroshima Prefecture. On the day of the A-bombing, my colleagues from the city office and I opened a first-aid station in the auditorium of a nearby elementary school, where I worked until August 31.