The text area starts here.

  • Before reading this site

Messages from Nagasaki

Japanese version

Fusae Mori (female)
'Chokubaku'  1.8 km from the hypocenter / 12 years old at the time / current resident of Nagasaki

Photographer: Eiichi Matsumoto.
The scenes of the A-bombed city are introduced here. The photographs are not directly connected with the messages.
I was in the first year of junior high school at the time of the bombing, and my homework from school was to collect oil from the roots of pine trees. As I was trying to collect pine oil in a container by sawing into a tree, a bright flash of light, and sheets shot up. Instantly I lay down on the ground, but my clothes had already started to turn brown. The grass also started to burn, however luckily the tree did not burn, so I was able to escape towards a church in Rokumaizaka. I spent a night in the air-raid shelter of the Rokumaizaka church, and early the next morning I travelled past Nishiyama and went to Tougeya. I walked with bare feet amongst scattered glass debris along the railroad tracks to get to home Ouraishibashi (I do not remember when I became barefoot).

Along the way, I saw a lady who had lost her breasts, and many people whose backs were burned to black, however I did not feel anything. I did not even feel frightened. On the way home, I saw ashes and black oil flying through sky, landing on the leaves of potato plants. I hid many times in the sweet potato fields and the ditches there, because an American air plane was flying around. I did not feel anything, not even fear that I might die.

By the time I arrived at home it was early evening. My home was totally destroyed, with drawers collapsed, window glass gone and walls crumbled ― there was not even anywhere to step. None was home, and so I decided to go to the air-raid shelter in the nearby hills. There, I found my mother and younger brother, however my father had set out the day before to look for me. As it was dangerous to stay in Nagasaki, it was decided for my mother, brother and me to go to Minamitakakazusa. I was not able to walk properly, but somehow slowly managed to walk while being told off by my mother, suffering from diarrhea and bleeding from my gums. It took a very long time, and it was not until the next morning that we were able to reach Isahaya. There were long lines of people walking toward Isahaya to evacuate. We had to depart in the evening and walk overnight then stop as the sun rose, hide, or wait for the Shimabara train. We got on the Shimabara train, however we were met with attacks by the enemy, and were forced to get off the train at Shimabarasou. We walked along the railroad tracks, and at Yasunaka were able to get on the train once more and go to Katsusa station. The enemy air-raids were coming down like rain, and at the train station there were many people The air raid of enemy was coming down like a rain. The train station was full of confusion, with people trying to run away or trying to hide. Right by me, bullets as large as a hand had fallen. My mother and brother were able to hide behind something, but as I was moving so slowly I was outside in the open square in front of the station, seeing a storm of bullets. I was prepared to be killed, but I felt no fear.

We eventually arrived at my grandmother's home at Katsusa. She prepared carp blood and fed it to me, making my complexion improve somewhat. Although I suffered from repeated diarrhea, loss of hair and bleeding from the gums, I was somehow able to recover.